The 21st-ranked Creighton Bluejays (17-5, 6-3 Big East) will be at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center to clash with the Providence Friars (12-10, 5-4 Big East) in a Big East matchup. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 5, 2020.
Both teams beat their last opponent. The Friars defeated the 16th-ranked Butler Bulldogs 65-61, while the Bluejays beat the eighth-ranked Villanova Wildcats 76-61.
Creighton’s effective field goal percentage was their largest strength over Villanova. The Bluejays had a rate of 0.605 (above their season average of 0.540), while the Wildcats posted a mark of 0.418 (below their season average of 0.526). The Friars, meanwhile, forced 15 turnovers and held the Bulldogs to an effective field goal percentage of 0.411 (below their season average of 0.530). Luwane Pipkins played well for Providence with 22 points. Creighton was lifted by Ty-Shon Alexander, who finished with 16 points and 10 rebounds.
In their first matchup this year, Alexander led the Bluejays to a 78-74 victory. He put up 24 points. Creighton made good use of their 25 trips to the charity stripe, converting on 20 of them (80.0 percent). Providence, on the other hand, was 13-18 (72.2 percent).
Providence appears to have an advantage on the offensive glass in this meeting. The Friars rank 31st in offensive rebounding percentage (34.1 percent), while Creighton ranks 207th in defensive rebounding percentage (71.6 percent). Additionally, the Bluejays rank 16th in turnover percentage (15.9 percent), while the Friars rank 42nd in opponents’ turnover percentage (22.7 percent).
Creighton Bluejays at Providence Friars Pick
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Creighton, ATS Winner – Creighton, O/U – Over
- Providence ranks 64th in rebounds per game (38.4) while Creighton ranks 202nd in rebounds allowed per game (36.8).
- The Friars rank 61st in assists per game (14.6) while the Bluejays rank 114th in assists allowed per game (12.3).
- Providence blocks 3.5 opponent shots per game, which ranks 95th in the country. Creighton ranks 96th in blocks allowed per game (3.2).
- The Bluejays rank 14th in steals allowed per game (4.8) while the Friars rank 151st (6.9).
- Providence averages 22.4 three pointers per game, which ranks 130th in the country. Creighton ranks 216th in three pointers allowed per game (23.5).
- The Bluejays’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.4, down from 8.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Friars have scored an average of 65.2 points per game (5.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 66.8 points per game (0.3 above their season average).